CAPA: The Global Education Network is an established leader in the development and administration of quality international education programs. For over 40 years, we have partnered with universities and colleges across the country and around the world, providing a full range of programs and integrated services designed to support all aspects of international education. Our strong worldwide network, professional expertise, and demonstrated success in the field make us the preferred resource for a growing number of US institutions of higher learning for their study abroad needs. CAPA is headquartered in Boston and operates programs in Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Dublin, Florence, London, Shanghai and Sydney.
The CAPA Sydney programme is based in Ultimo on the campus of TAFE Sydney and near the University of Technology, Sydney. Students have the opportunity to enrol in CAPA Sydney courses for a semester (US calendar) or a shorter-term summer program. CAPA contracts local Australian faculty to provide degree level instruction in a variety of subjects; academic credit is granted by the student’s US institution. In addition to the academic programming, CAPA also provides housing, internships, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities, and a full 24-hour on-site support and advising programme. CAPA Sydney currently has a team of five staff and hosts approximately 60-150 students each term.
CAPA is currently seeking a Director of Student and Program Services for its Sydney Program. Reporting to the Vice President of Global Operations based in London, this role will have overall responsibility for all non-academic areas of CAPA’s programming in Sydney. The role will directly manage program services and logistics, local financial matters and student care, as well as having management responsibilities for the Sydney centre and staff.
The two key aspects of the Sydney programs for which the Director will be responsible are Program and Student Services and Internships. Program and student services involve the care and support of CAPA’s students living and studying with CAPA Sydney, including health and safety, housing, educational excursions and events outside of the classroom. CAPA also researches, develops and places a large percentage of the overall student population into part-time unpaid internships/work placements for academic credit.
The role requires an effective manager with leadership skills, a hands-on and student-focused approach, and the ability to act strategically to ensure students receive the quality of support and guidance required to achieve a meaningful learning abroad experience.
- Oversee quality assurance for Sydney programming: carefully monitor all feedback, develop and implement strategic quality initiatives to improve results. Areas of oversight include: student advising, student accommodation, external tour operators, informational materials, student activities and orientations, and internships provision.
- Overall responsibility for the Sydney Centre including the quality, security, health and safety and upkeep of the facilities. This includes supervision of staff responsible for IT and liaising with TAFE administration.
- Manage staff, provide guidance and resources to help staff meet their departmental and individual goals. Provide leadership and ongoing training.
- Provide high quality student support, manage disciplinary matters and student crises.
- Act as a key member of CAPA’s crisis management team. CAPA provides 24/7 emergency support to all Sydney students through an emergency phone on-call system and acts in accordance with explicit protocols. The Director would be part of the on call rota with other members of the Sydney team, provide emergency phone training to new staff, set the on call rota, and provide 24/7 back up support to staff carrying the emergency phone. While the Director would need to be able to problem-solve in a variety of situations, CAPA’s crisis management committee has created explicit protocols, ensures staff receive appropriate training, and provides on-call support to the Director.
- Liaise with CAPA’s homestay and apartment housing providers to secure adequate space, negotiate favourable rates. Oversee final student housing placements and roommate assignments and ensure a high level of quality throughout the term.
- Seek out, develop and maintain new housing partnerships, excursion providers, classroom facilities etc. as required.
- Provide operational support and direction to the internships department that sources and matches students with appropriate internships sites. Collaborate with CAPA’s VP of Global Internships based in London, who will have dotted line management of the internships team, to develop strategies for the growth of sustainable internship opportunities.
- Attend evening and weekend social events for student arrivals and departures; manage and participate in student orientation sessions.
- Welcome representatives from existing and prospective institutional partners to the CAPA Sydney Program and arrange site visits as required.
- Collaborate closely with the Program Management, Institutional Relations, Marketing and Finance teams in CAPA’s Boston headquarters, and participate in occasional cross-location committees/focus groups and in the formulation of new programs in Sydney.
- Oversee program and overhead budgets to ensure financial targets are met for individual programs and for the department. Make payments for the CAPA program and provide basic monthly reports on spending to the CAPA finance department in Boston.
- Regularly review, update and implement the standard operating procedures.
Skills and Experience
- Three years’ experience minimum and a proven track record successfully managing and motivating a team
- Bachelor’s degree
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Highly developed communication and presentation skills with experience in public speaking
- Ability to build and maintain successful relationships at all levels
- Confidence to manage, and the ability to remain calm, in challenging situations
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Experience working with budgets and basic financial reporting
- Proven negotiating skills
- Strong basic computer skills (proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite)
- The existing legal right to permanently work in Australia
- Experience advising and providing support to students in all non-academic areas
- Experience within higher education administration or overseas student care
- Experience and/or training in crisis management, mental heath or health and safety
- Advanced degree
**As this is a management level role, a high level of commitment and flexibility is required**.
How to Apply
Join our team! To apply, please send a cover letter and resume with salary expectations. (include Director, PASS Sydney in the subject line).
CAPA: The Global Education Network is an equal opportunity employer